I know….the title! I am just in a goofy mood today. But I am Greek, so I love Greek food and Greek ingredients! But it also means I need an extra razor, some creme hair remover for my face, and a muzzle at times since most Greeks are known for their loudly dynamic personalities. Ever heard of Christine Caine? She says it best. I am a Greek woman. So I only know how to speak 3 ways: hard, fast, and continuously. It is also kind of the way we like to consume our food. Lol! We are pretty serious about talking and eating as Greeks.
Okay, okay, back to the topic at hand. Food, right? Ever hear that saying you are what you eat? I know at least one of you is thinking this.I hope you laughed at that because I got a good chuckle when I read it, too! But in all seriousness, your body was created in an amazing way. Did you know that your body actually reproduces itself in cycles. For example, your skin replaces itself every 35 days from the food that you consume. Your brain does as well. So as your cells die, your body regenerates new ones using the food that you eat to do it. Are you thinking what I am thinking then? You should be screaming…..WHAT YOU EAT MATTERS!
I know we don’t think that, but if we don’t pay attention to what goes in, as our cells regenerate, they won’t be as healthy as they could be or our bodies will feel the effects of that stress. Often times we monitor what our children are eating to be sure they are getting key elements from a variety of food groups to ensure adequate nutrition, but that monitoring falls off largely as we become adults.
And speaking from experience, inadequate nutrition happens in an even greater proportion of moms who are trying to meet the demands of career, home life, etc. Quick check to prove my point. Have you ever skipped a meal to take care of fixing your kids one? Have you ever given your child your snack because they gave you the please eyes? And all women said in unison, “Yes!” Women, it is important to take care of yourselves. Why? Because you can’t care for your family, if you are not well. I used to roll my eyes at the flight attendants when they told me to put my oxygen mask on first before helping my kids. But they are right, kids can’t help themselves. They depend on you! So take care of you, so you can be around to take care of and enjoy them! Because these statements will ring true forever!
Just a slight addition here. I am not against medicine, and I do believe that there are times when medicine is necessary to help you as you try to get other nutritional factors taken care of. But I believe a lot of the medical issues people are dealing with now are a direct result of what they have fed their bodies throughout their lives. That being said, I am not perfect. My goal is to eat as much healthy food as I can and enjoy food, too. Because stressing over food won’t help you live a healthy life either! And don’t try to argue with me either. Why? Well, because this will be you! (Refer back to paragraph 1 if you need more details! LOL).
So, I have decided it is fitting to give you a recipe you won’t be able to resist and it can be made in one skillet! Can you guess the origins of the main ingredients of this recipe?? You guessed it! Greek food it is! I am sure there are lots of cultures that use these ingredients, but they scream yummy Greek food to me! Hope you enjoy this one! And just a thought, try making small changes to achieve big goals. If you need to overhaul your diet, start one meal at a time. You will be more likely to succeed and less likely to quit!
Greek Chicken with Veggies
(I know the name is a little lacking, but only because Yummy Greek Chicken Amazingness with Veggies sounded a little over the top!) This recipe will serve 6.
- 1 small onion diced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic diced
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1 med zucchini diced
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1/3 c sundried tomatoes chopped
- 1 jar artichoke hearts drained and chopped
- 1/3 c chopped kalamata olives
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 c fresh spinach
- 3 tbsp evoo
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/3 c fresh parsley chopped
- 1/3 c fresh basil chopped
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbsp evoo. Add diced chicken into pan and season with salt and pepper, and allow to cook for 2 minutes before flipping so each side cooks thoroughly and meat has a little brown on it. (Brown is flavor!) Flip chicken over and allow to continue cooking.
- Add onion, garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes until it begins to soften and become translucent. Then add in the mushrooms and allow them to begin to soften and become deep brown in color. About 5 minutes. (You may need a little more evoo here to help saute the mushrooms, feel free to add a few tsps more if needed!)
- After mushrooms have sauteed, add zucchini and season with a little more salt and pepper and half of the oregano. Allow zucchini to cook for about 2 minutes.
- Move veggies and chicken to the sides of the pan to create a little bowl of sorts for the remaining evoo and balsamic vinegar, along with the diced tomatoes, olives, sundried tomatoes, and artichoke hearts. Sprinkle with remaining oregano and stir to combine and coat all veggies and chicken with the balsamic and evoo combo.
- Cover the veggies and chicken with spinach and allow to wilt for about 2 minutes. Then add fresh basil and parsley. Stir in spinach and fresh herbs until all is combined.
- Very important step: taste a piece of heaven to ensure the seasonings are just right! If not add salt, pepper, or oregano as needed.
- To serve: Eat as is or serve over brown rice or quinoa with a sprinkle of crumbled feta or goat cheese! 🙂
Hope this satisfies your appetite as much as it will nourish your body! Enjoy your day! Enjoy your family! Enjoy your life! Trust God! Talk with you all soon!
If you have questions or just want to connect, please feel free to Email Me! If you are looking for a health and fitness coach that will motivate you and help you on your journey, please feel free to check out My Site, join my team, and check out products I believe in. Let me take this journey with you! Can’t wait to meet you!